Monday, April 1, 2013

I Admit, I am a Control Freak



During this past month I have realized how much I enjoy being fully involved in my fitness journey. After working out with a trainer for three years, I decided that it was time to try being fully responsible for my own fitness experience. At the beginning of March  I started writing my own workouts and  training by myself. 

I have to say, I have learned a lot about myself. For example, I am a workout control freak. It took me this long to realize that I genuinely enjoy writing my own programs. I get so excited when I wake up the next day and find myself super sore! It is almost like my body is giving me a pat on the back for putting in an extra effort. There is an enormous amount of satisfaction in knowing that not only are my muscles growing, but that I, all by myself, got them to respond. Additional satisfaction comes in the form of better measurements, visible muscle definition (yay!!!) and just overall feeling of being awesome.

By no means should you assume that my trainer has failed me in my training by not getting me results. That is far from the truth. In fact, if it wasn't for my wonderful trainer and friend, I'd never brave going out on my own. What I am marveling at here , is that I managed to continue improving and growing, while, statistically, most people regress after they stop training with a professional.
There are, of course, drawbacks to training solo. For example, it is significantly harder to push through "the wall" and truly exhaust the muscle group without that occasional push from a trainer or a friend.  I don't know about you, but I get nervous sometimes when I am lifting super heavy weight (for me) and there is no one there to spot me. Also, I occasionally experience "dips" in my motivation levels and my trainer always got me back in the groove.

In addition to discovering that I greatly enjoy being in control of what I do (yes, even the dreaded kettle bell  was used a few times this month), I also discovered that I might actually enjoy working out with a group of people.  So, I am excited to try out a group session at my gym (yes, with a trainer) next week. Who knows, maybe I'll make new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment